There are a few reasons why one may decide to form a club and a few things one needs to do to become a recognized pickleball club here in B.C.
Some of the reasons behind the concept of becoming a club:
- Common singe voice when dealing with local civic authorities for more pickleball play time opportunities
- Recognized entity when applying for funding from any source
- Ability to manage local pickleball affairs
- Teaching opportunities
- Other clinics - officiating
- Structured play
- Social activities
- Contact list
- Inclusion in the PCO insurance program
- Participation in the PCO national member management software package (PCNS)
What form of club should one consider? The form depends on a few things:
- Your stage in development - a small group may have different needs than a large group
- The amount and type of activities you wish to engage in
- Do you need more recognized status to meet the needs of a particular source of funding?
- Do your potential members need a more formal and structured entity for their comfort?
Three basic levels of organization:
- An email list with one or two people managing all aspects
- A non registered club with a few directors, some rules (bylaws?) etc.
- A registered not for profit society complete with the requirements per the B.C. Government Societies Act
Any of these work in our current environment.
What do you need to do locally to become and maintain 'club' status?
- Have personnel in place to manage of all local club affairs
- Be cognizant of and in compliance with various governance stipulations
~ Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) regulations - privacy and security of personal information
~ Conflict of interest conditions
~ Gender equality, ethics and inclusion concepts
~ Visit our Resources page for additional Policies and guidelines that may apply. This page and its contents are updated regularly.
- Enter an affiliation agreement (Memorandum of Understanding) with PBC
- Work with PBC to establish your Club identity with the PCNS system
- Communicate with PBC on changes to your structure
- email@example.com for any questions
- firstname.lastname@example.org for all club and individual registration inquiries